Flames broke out in a Heritage Lake subdivision home Tuesday, the day its occupants were to be evicted after a bank repossession.


The state Fire Marshal’s Office will investigate the fire, which produced no injuries or structural damage but caused heavy smoke and water damage to the ranch-style home.


The occupants were not home at 4 Victoria Way when a Tazewell County sheriff’s deputy, assigned to evict them if necessary, saw smoke coming from the residence shortly after 11 a.m., said Sheriff’s Capt. Tim Gillespie.


Flames erupted from a smoldering source in the smoke-filled basement when firefighters tried to enter it. Firefighters from Mackinaw, Tremont and Danvers kept the fire from spreading beyond the basement.