Pekin’s Grace United Methodist Church will host an evening of composer Andrew Lloyd Webber’s hit songs this Saturday for a third of the price that tickets sold for previous venues.
“An Evening of Andrew Lloyd Webber” has played in New York City, the Hamptons on Long Island, and in San Francisco. Now Grace United Methodist Church, at 600 N. Fourth St. in Pekin, will host it at 7:30 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 22, in the church’s Family Life Center. Feature performers will be soprano Rose Kingsley, tenor Thomas Booth and pianist Andrea Molina.
“We’re going to perform some of the hit tunes from Andrew Lloyd Webber’s (stage) musicals,” said Booth. “Some of them will be duets and some of them will be solos. We’ll cover a lot of his work, from ‘Jesus Christ Superstar,’ to ‘Evita,’ to ‘Cats.’”
Tickets are $15 for the Pekin performance, normally the same show would cost about $45 in New York or San Francisco, said Booth. The event is a fundraiser for the Grace United Methodist Church Building Fund, which will receive 60 percent of the proceeds. The performers will divide the remaining 40 percent to defray travel and lodging expenses. Booth intends to donate his share of the proceeds to the Building Fund.
“In the past couple of years, the church put up the Family Life Center,” said Booth. “They took out a loan to put up the building. They’ve paid more than half of it and have pledges for a lot of the rest. But we wanted to contribute by raising $2,000 or $3,000 more.”
Tickets for the concert are available through the church office at 309-347-7131 or online at www.ezevent.com by searching for “An Evening of Andrew Lloyd Webber” in Pekin, Illinois.
“Andrew Lloyd Webber’s music is very popular, and I think people will enjoy the songs,” Booth said. “Most people I know love the music from ‘Phantom of the Opera,’ or from ‘Cats,’ or from ‘Jesus Christ Superstar.’ My background is as an opera singer, and (a) lot of people love opera but don’t recognize opera tunes. Webber is such a household name that the people who come will recognize at least some of the songs.”